Saturday 6 September 2014

Which Band or Musician Is Most Important To Me?

So today's topics aren't the best. One of them asked me to write about my last 3 crushes. If you know anything about me, I don't crush on people. Simply because I don't believe that I will ever be good enough for someone. Or that someone would ever take notice of me and see me as anything more then just the weird, quiet girl. There. I said it. I'm working hard to get people to notice my blog but today I am glad I only have a few readers because of that one sentence.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent again (have you noticed how much of a clique this is becoming). So. I'm not really cool enough to have a favourite band but I do have a favourite musician.

My favourite musician and singer is Troye Sivan. The very first time I heard of Troye was when his song for The Fault In Our Stars came out. I heard it, liked it and because all the proceeds were going to a cancer charity, I bought the song. By that time, the song was blowing up and John Green was talking about Troye and taking him around places and I couldn't understand why. I thought that Troye was just some random kid who wrote a song. I was baffled as to how a nobody could shoot to fame like that.



However, I did not know that Troye was by then a pretty darn established singer and Youtuber. He already had about a million subscribers on his channel and he'd performed on stage a number of times. This year, I got really into Youtube. I started following a whole lot of Youtubers, I got into the randoms, I followed the ships and watched videos as they were being released. I just find it so amazing that these people started from zero and worked their way up 1 subscriber at a time. I am currently completely up to date on everything in the Youtuber community and it's a lot of fun.

So I found Troye and I realised that the reason why his song went viral was because he was already an established Youtuber. So I started following him. I watched his old videos and kept up with his current ones. And then, he posted this one day.


I was tearing up at the end of the video. I was just so proud that Troye had been working on his first proper EP and that it was going to be released in August.

I was so excited. I was counting down the days and everything. And then, Happy Little Pill, the first single off his EP was dropped secretly on Tumblr. I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. I went nuts. I was so proud and excited for him. 




When the full EP dropped, the world went wild because it was terribly, horribly AMAZING.

And then, Youtube exploded with support for Troye. Suddenly all any Youtuber could talk about was Troye Sivan and his EP.  All any Youtuber could Instagram and tweet about was pictures of their signed TRXYE albums and their TRXYE jumpers. Some of which were the coveted white and blue ones. 

Troye Sivan is my favourite musician because he earned his fame. He didn't earn his fame by getting signed to some fancy record place. He didn't earn his fame by being discovered somewhere. He earned his fame by sitting in his room and making videos. He earned his fan base by first making them laugh. He earned every bit of his success. He didn't shoot to fame. He had to earn each of his subscribers through sheer hard work. He is so humble as can be seen in his reaction video to 1 million subscribers.



He made his fame. He made himself who is his today. No fancy place did that. He did that. Only him.

I'm so proud of you Troye. You deserve to sit back now and ride on your fame for a bit. I can't wait to see what you do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment