Sunday 7 September 2014

Do You Read? What Are Your Favourite Books?

YES! Yes I do read. I love to read in fact. My whole life, reading has been my favourite hobby. I think it started all the way from when I was very young. My dad used to read to me all the time and as I grew up, the love of words, of imagination, of a made up world, just stuck with me.

As a kid, I used to take my picture books and toddler books and I would make up a story using the images on the page. I was a toddler but I would be in my own world.

 A picture of a boy with a football titled 'ball'? It would be a full story of a young boy who lived in a village and played football everyday with his friends and how he went to school and had fun. I had a vivid imagination. I could tell a full, long drawn story using just a rubber and a stapler. So it only makes sense that today I am an amateur writer and I of course, love to read.

I have so many books that I absolutely adore that  I almost don't know if I actually have a favourite. It's strange. When people ask me what my favourite book is, I immediately draw a blank.

So I shall share two of my all-time favourite books with you.

1) The Secret Island by Enid Blyton


This was my absolute favourite book as a child. Of course I haven't read it in an extremely long time. So there are three kids, Mike, Peggy and Nora, who are living with a cruel aunt and uncle because their parents disappeared in a plane crash. They meet a friend living nearby named Jack. One day, the 4 of them decide to run away. So they spend weeks planning and finally they run away together to a secret island that only Jack knows about.

The story then follows the kids as they learn to adapt to living on the island. They start to build a proper home on that island complete with their own little farm. 

This story used to be my favourite because I loved the idea of running away to a beautiful, magical place. After I read this book, I came up with so many different variations to the story in my head. The story just stuck with me like no other. I know it's a kid book but I absolutely adored it.


2) The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult



Jodi Picoult is my favourite author and I have read every single one of her books. However, this book, to me, was extra special. So the Storyteller is about a young baker named Sage. She has a grandmother who she loves dearly but who is also very secretive about her past. This is because she was a prisoner of war during the Nazi Regime. Living in the same town is a sweet old man named Josef Weber who befriends Sage.

One day, Josef tells Sage that he used to be an SS officer from the time of the Holocaust. He wants her help to end his life. Horrified, Sage immediately contacts the Department of Justice who sends a dashing attorney down to investigate her claims.

This story has amazing twists so I don't want to spoil it it if you do decide to read this wonderful book. Basically, Josef and Sage's grandmother have a unique connection to each other.

This story was told so beautiful. There were first-person accounts (that were actually true by the way. Jodi weaved together the stories of three actual POWs from that time to come up with Sage's Grandma's story). The first person accounts were just so beautiful and raw and I actually cried reading them. It was so good and you really should read it.

These are my top two favourite books. Of course I have so many more but to write about all of them would take ages. If you want to read one of these books, click the title of book (the bigger font ones). It will take you to the book in the Amazon store where you can buy it or read more reviews. 

See you guys tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment