Tuesday 25 November 2014

I Know Lucy By Melissa Pearl


Lucy Tate is on the run. After witnessing the brutal murder of her parents, she's spent five years in hiding -- taking on different personas and faking her way through life. The authorities can't be trusted, so she remains in the shadows, always one beat ahead of the man who is forever hunting her. That is, until she meets Zach Schultz, a senior at Monte Vista High and the one guy she can’t bear to leave. Suddenly her natural instincts to lie, steal, and run are overshadowed by something else...the desire to stay. It’s her one shot at a normal life.Curious by nature, Zach is immediately drawn to the new girl at school. How can a person look both confident and vulnerable all in the same moment? Determined to learn more about her, he tries to get close, but is thrown into a world of lies and confusion. The only thing that becomes apparent is that discovering the truth may get him killed. -Goodreads

I wanted to start my review by saying that I didn't enjoy this book as much as I expected to. 

Okay so let's start of with the good points. I really liked the story line. I found it to be pretty unique and I personally have never read a book about a con artist so this book was eye-opening. I also really liked the character of Lucy Tate. I thought she was pretty strong and interesting.

Unfortunately that is where the compliments stop. I quite frankly hated the main character, Zach. I felt like he was the perfect little boy that thought he knew everything there was to know. The author describes Zach as being curious but isn't it strange that he managed to come up with a whole profile of Dani just by looking at her for ten seconds? I thought he was very pretentious and just too fake.

Another major flaw that I found with this book was of how Melissa Pearl portrayed women. I wouldn't say that I'm a feminist but I felt like she portrayed us in a very degrading manner. Zach is always feeling this intense need to protect the females in his life. And the females go along with it. For the most part, Lucy is untainted by the weakness that the other females have. But people like Zach's friend, Jaeda seem to be easily pacified with a smile or from a gentle nudge. And it happens every time! It's like the girls don't have a mind of their own. I found that pretty unsettling really.

Then of course there was Zach again being so annoying. I mean, when he confronted Dani finally, he should have been angry. He should have been fuming that she lied to him on such a great scale. He should not have been yelling her and at the same time thinking, "Oh she looks so sad, I just want to wrap her in my arms and never let her go and protect her form everything forever." And that is pretty much something he actually thought in the novel.

I hate writing bad reviews and I really want to support Melissa Pearl but I just didn't like it personally. That said, lot's of other reviews seem to be positive so maybe give it a go. As for me, I didn't enjoy it.

My Ratings: 2/5 
Purchase the books at The Book Depositary using my special link Here

No comments:

Post a Comment