Tuesday 21 October 2014

Book Review: Gone Girl By Gillian Flynn



I finished reading Gone Girl this week and can I just say firstly that it was amazing! I initially read a review of it on Amzon when I was getting a whole lot of books into my Kindle at once. That was a pretty big mistake because I ended up reading only a few of the books I got that day. Anyway, Gone Girl was in that pile and I kept saying that I was going to read it but then I would get distracted with another book.

So after the whole fiasco when my Kindle broke down and I got a new one sent from Amazon, I had to start fresh and basically the first thing I got was Gone Girl and I made sure I read it first because Tanya Burr had just released a video recommending it. Also the book was number 1 basically everywhere and the movie was coming out soon. So I started reading the book and I literally couldn't put it down.

So Gone Girl is a psychological thriller and I loved it from start to finish. It's going to be hard to write this without giving away too much but basically there are a lot of twists in the book. When it starts out, the ending simply seems obvious. Gillian Flynn basically makes you hate the main character. Then, the whole story makes a 360 degree turn and you find yourself loving and hating all the opposite people.

I rarely read thrillers or mystery books so to me, I found the story extremely unique. I guess that was what made it so popular in the first place. Now, a lot of people are talking about how Gone Girl ended. Quite a number of people felt that after all the excitement in the book itself, the ending was kind of anti-climatic and a quite a let-down. Personally I felt like the ending was a bit unrealistic. I thought it was quite strange and I personally wasn't happy with the way it ended. Yet if I look at it from the literature point of view, I do see how it makes sense in some way. I feel like there's some underlying message in the ending that I'm not catching on to. So I guess if I dig deeper, I might actually love the ending.

When the book starts, the language is pretty decent and everything is pretty innocent and all. Then at about the second half of the book, when you've firmly dug your claws into the story, the language becomes pretty vulgar. Usually vulgarities and excessive talk of sex are my immediate turn offs when it comes to books, films or TV shows (I don't care how popular they are. That's why I stopped watching Game Of Thrones and Orange Is The New Black) however, I was at the point where you couldn't put down the book anyway so I just continued. So certainly I wouldn't read the book if you aren't old enough to be reading it. Simply put, this isn't a teenage/young adult novel. Make of that what you will.

So go check out the book and read it. It's honestly one of the more amazing things you will read this year. If you finish it in time, the movie is currently out in cinemas. In Singapore it's rated R21 though and as I mentioned in my last post, I am really upset about that because I desperately want to see if they did the book justice. I am 3 years below the legal age and I'm not about sneaking into movies. So  yes. I'm annoyed by that. I think in some other countries the age limit is M18 though so it really depends on where you live.

If you want to get the book, you can get it at pretty much every book store or you could get the ebook version here.


*P.S. I'm currently reading the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. I'm on book 3 and I'm most likely going to review it. If you want me to review any other books, just comment it down below and I'll read it and review it here. I love to read so give me some good titles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment