Monday 1 December 2014

Capture (Cryptid Tales #2) By Brina Courtney


Shay is finally learning who she is, and who it is she will become. But for now escaping the clutches of the evil Malsumis will have to be enough. Or is it? In Capture, Shay embraces other cryptids in order to defeat their common enemy. She is willing to die trying to save her father and the love of her life, Hugh. But can Hugh, her cryptid mate, protect her from the evil Malsumis? Or will she fall victim to his horrible plans? -Goodreads
-

I was given this book in exchange for a review. However when I requested the book, I didn't realise that it was a series and that I was being given the second book. So I started this book without reading anything of the first book except the reviews and blurbs. 

I expected to not enjoy it. Aside from the mainstream books like Divergent or The Mortal Instruments, I have pretty much stopped reading fantasy/supernatural series books. Mostly because I just don't enjoy them as much as I used to. Also, as I was starting from the second book, I expected to be lost. And I was. 

The book seems to continue right exactly where the last book dropped off and there isn't much explanations or anything to help a new reader through. I found that disappointing. I mean I had to find out who Jeremy and Chad were through reading reviews from the first book.

However, I could tell that the story was good. I liked the idea of Cryptids and I found the romance between Hugh and Shay to be cute. I thought it was unique in some ways and I enjoyed the writing style.

The books lost points for me mainly because I was lost with all the funny names and things and also because I felt that it was very under developed. This book is incredibly short. I felt like halfway through the books, when Lacey was telling Shay about all the different mystical creatures, she was lost. She barely knew that anything existed yet in a couple of pages, she somehow managed to save hundreds of Cryptids from the villain and she was made queen. So that part didn't sit well with me. 

However it was an excellent story and I would recommend checking it out (start with the first book though).

My Rating: 3/5
Purchase the books at The Book Depositary using my special link Here

No comments:

Post a Comment